450g strong wholemeal flour
1 and 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, sieved
80g mixed seeds (pumpkin, sesame, flax, sunflower)
1 tsp salt
150g natural yogurt
1 tbsp treacle – optional
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees or gas mark 6
2. Mix all dry ingredients together and form a well in the middle
3. Mix all wet ingredients, whisking vigorously
4. Add the wet mix into the well, stirring until it forms a moist dough. No need to knead!
5. Form a dough ball dusting some extra flour on it.
6. Once your final dough is ready, make a 4 inch deep cross on the top and place it on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 30 minutes
If you’re struggling to find all these ingredients (we know flour seems to be difficult to get at the moment!) you can always use these as substitutions and your soda bread should be just as delicious. Let us know how you get on!
Flour: strong plain flour or 50% plain and 50% wholemeal
Yogurt: Greek or soya, as long as it’s plain
Seeds: can be entirely avoided or even substituted with chopped nuts